Thursday, June 5, 2014

Distorted Vegetables

If I define something as 'distorted' that implies there is a 'not distorted', a 'normal'.  But if I define that same thing as 'interesting', my mind tends to open to what's useful, beneficial, fun, 'good', about it.  Distorted can make me NOT LIKE IT  or worse HATE IT, disregard, disrespect, avoid, reject it.  'Interesting' makes me CURIOUS about it, more open to understanding it on a deeper level.  A kindness emerges from my willingness to accept the 'not normal', the different, the unfamiliar.
Distorted
Interesting

4 comments:

  1. And look at the variety of the interesting distorted shapes! I love this drawing, there is such playfulness and life in these fruits and vegetables. And to be more conscious about how we can shift our perspective is so very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! I just finished writing about this topic of how I'm responding to the prompt. I didn't see this before.

    You did a good job of putting the fun back in. I see now how serious I'm feeling. I'd like to lighten up-it can be so expansive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow- those are some wonderful and interesting vegetables! The shapes are so curious and evocative

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is rather eye-opening: the notion that distortion is so often compared in relation to "normal." This post makes me aware of how often I compare one thing to another and how that restricts what I am able to see.

    ReplyDelete