David Hockney, because his freedom and joy open my heart and I love seeing the world in all that color and movement, Richard Stine, because his way of thinking about the world meets my own and I love how he makes art of words, Ida Kohlmeyer because her colors and shapes and 'hand' thrill me, Mel Bochner because he paints words over and over again, and Maira Kalman, because she shows me ordinary life in a no big deal way. I also am grateful for Andy Goldsworthy because he so meticulously places natural objects in shapes and forms that comfort my soul, but I didnt have his book here.
I never heard of Maira Kalman before. I looked her up and it is really interesting to see her work. I like how she is able to draw for the New Yorker and publish books. Sounds like a nice way to share work. I always think about the "ART" world, but it would be just as nice to draw for a magazine or make children's books. She gets to do her work and make money. Sounds much better than teaching….
Thanks, Deb, for posting these. Really inspiring! I love the green backgrounds.
ReplyDeleteI never heard of Maira Kalman before. I looked her up and it is really interesting to see her work. I like how she is able to draw for the New Yorker and publish books. Sounds like a nice way to share work. I always think about the "ART" world, but it would be just as nice to draw for a magazine or make children's books. She gets to do her work and make money. Sounds much better than teaching….
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that you included so many artists here. I am comforted by seeing this work posted here.
ReplyDeleteNice. Thank you for sharing your teachers' work.
ReplyDelete